Tuesday 6 September 2011

#36, Part Two. More shenanigans.

Sometimes you can't tell a book by it's cover.

Sometimes it's hard to tell what a guy is all about the first time you meet them. So, giving a guy a second chance to make a first impression doesn't seem that crazy. But, trust me you should listen to your gut.

I decided to meet "The Boy Who Wouldn't Leave" for a movie. He kept asking me out over and over again, so I figured that a movie would be harmless. And, seeing a dollar movie is even better because a guy doesn't have to pretend he has money, it's only a dollar.

My first clue that this was not going to be a love match was when he didn't want to see any of the movies I wanted to see. To be fair, I can be very picky about the movies that I like and don't like. I don't like movies with talking animals, political movies, ghost or alien movies, or movies with Nicolas Cage, Matthew McConaughey, J-lo or movies where the main character dies. I like all the rest, I swear.

We decided to see "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs". And since I love food it seemed a win-win.

So this guy shows up so late, there are only a few minutes before the movie starts. I don't like to waste time and I wanted to see a movie so I got in line for a ticket anyways. What the heck. Right before it was my turn, he runs in and finds me in line. I was just stepping up to the counter so I said "Two please". Out of the corner of my eye I could see no movement. Quite a few seconds go by... and I realize he wasn't taking out his wallet! Yeah, I think this guy EXPECTED ME TO BUY HIS TICKET! I was kind of stunned because it was ONLY A DOLLAR. I look up at him and say "Do you really think that I'm paying for your ticket here? It's only a dollar". He sheepishly sticks his hand into his pocket and pulls out a handful of NICKLES and PENNIES and plunks it into my open hand. Omg. I just distastefully let all that change slide into my open handbag and grab the tickets and think "Oh Lord, let this get better".

Note--- I actually LOVE paying for people. All the time. I love buying gifts, and giving gifts, and hiding money in your pocket when you aren't looking. But there is serious decorum that you need to pay attention to on a date. This is not cool.

So we sit down in the theatre and exchange "hows it goings" and all that jazz. That's where the conversation ends. Even before the previews start. This was a first for me. I asked him a few serious questions, a few silly questions, trying to make conversation...... it was a huge bomb.

As we are watching the movie I notice that he doesn't laugh at the funny parts, where the whole theatre is laughing, and he is laughing at parts that no one thinks is funny. This to me, was the funniest part of the whole date. I almost peed my pants.

As we were leaving the theatre, I remembered why I agreed to go out with him in the first place... I wanted ask him for help to take a couch to goodwill. Needless to say.... more than a year later that couch is still in my basement. He kept asking me out again after that, and I don't get it? No rapport means we really can't even be friends, right? Meh.

The only thing that come to mind about this is "if he looks like a redneck, he might just be a redneck". Always trust your gut. Never date a man with a mustache...